Thursday, October 16, 2008

To the DMV with Love!

I feel like I have so much to blog about (mainly wedding stuff) but all I really wanna write about it LAME stuff that is going on with everyday life. So once again I give you a look into my life.

Today I figured was a good day to go and get my Arizona registration figured out. I needed my mom (yeah she owns my car) to make me power of attorney so I could handle all the necessary paper work for her. Well when I first walk into the DMV they ask me if I have the power of attorney paper work and I hand it to the woman (mind you the DMV has 2 women sitting behind one desk giving out numbers – seems like they only needed one but I guess the job is keeping the other off welfare). So the first woman says I need it notarized and I said it is. She asks me to point to where it was notarized and I explained to her since the lovely DMV did not have a specific place for the notary to actually notarize the form she stapled her own notary form to the DMV’s form. So this woman hands it to the other woman sitting at the desk (I guess she is useful) and asks if this was ok and the second woman say “I don’t see why not.” So than they go have you gotten your car wellness check? My car’s what check? I say no and they point me in the direction of outside. Before leaving I ask do I need anything else and the woman asks if the car is paid off. Wondering what this has to do with anything I say “yes” and she says well than you will need the title as well. So add bank to the list of places to go so I can get the title out of the safe box. So I take my car to the “wellness check’ area pull up shut my car off like instructed and get out (it gets warm in a car when the AC isn’t going). So another lovely DMV employee comes outside and yells at me to get back in my car. Umm ok because I look so intimidating in my pink Ralph Lauren sweater and work pants. So she is writing down all info and gets to the VIN number area of my car and goes “there is something blocking it” so of course I shoot off a smart ass comment that goes to the effect that I don’t know what she is talking about because I can’t get out of my car to see it. Yeah I know not the nicest thing but come on had she not yelled at me I would have not given so much attitude. Anyways she goes “Ok your done” and I ask “Is that all, I don’t need a SMOG test or anything like that?” And with all her attitude in the world she proceeds to tell me yep I do need a SMOG check and would need to go to another place to get it. I ask for directions and ask her to clarify what street it was on for a second time and of course she gave me wrong directions – can you see why I am really loving the DMV at this point.

So to the SMOG place I went. Waited in line for a half hour and out the door I went $40 poorer but with my certificate that my car passed her test. I felt like a proud parent waiting in line to pay because some cars didn’t pass and I am sure the bill for those parents will be much higher.

Back to work for a few hours, waiting to met Barry at the bank so I can get into the safe box to get the title out. Lunch time arrived and the bank went flawlessly and back to the DMV to get my new Arizona title and my registration taken care of.

Get inline, get my number, get called, sit down, explain what I want to do, hand him all documents. He takes a look at them and goes I need to speak with my supervisor about this. Really? Come on. So he leaves for 10 minutes, comes back and all is well. Sign some papers as my mother’s power of attorney, pay my money, and I was out of there with a new shinny license plate and a new Arizona Car Title for my paid off car. Gotta love government agencies. Today I came to the conclusion they (the DMV) need checklists for customers and their employees for two reasons. The first being that their employees are really incompetent to fully explain the process that a customer needs to follow to perform a certain task for example register an out of state vehicle. And second they need a check list so it seems on the surface that their employees are not incompetent after all.

xoxo
britt

No comments: