Thursday, August 7, 2008

Night Fishing

Really. We went night fishing in Pierre, South Dakota and did well. Matt, my family, and I went “camping” in my parent’s new recreational vehicle, which I refuse to call a fifth wheel. We spent a couple nights in the “wilderness” and it was a great time, but it is nice to be home.

Matt caught several walleyes (good fish – part of the perch family) and some catfish, which were quickly returned to the water. Not to tell many fish stories, but at one point, while in the fast water below the dam, Matt caught a huge walleye, but the current was pulling the boat up to the face of the dam. So Matt had to reel like never before and my dad had to reverse the boat, in order to avoid hitting the dam. While this was happening, there was suddenly a walleye surfing on top of the water, Matt's fish. We netted him before he got away, but I am surprised we did not lose him. He was definitely a keeper.

We are home and survived, barely. The mosquitoes were outrageous and I can not wait to see how many bites I received. I am thankful Arizona does not have those critters! But camping was great, if you call having a microwave, refrigerator, stove, television, surround sound, DVD player and so forth camping. We did cook outside one night.

While camping, I received a call from Brittany about a girl’s weekend to LA which I am excited to plan. I also got a call from Mike, the stationary guy, stating that our save the dates are in. This is official wedding business! This means time to get addresses. Next week Matt and I plan to finalize the cake lady, a DJ, tuxes, and register.

On an uplifting note – Brittany and I tutored a Lost Boy while at the University of Arizona through a community service organization. His name was Eric and it was a great experience. Since then, I have had a special place in my heart for the Lost Boys. They are such fantastic individuals to be able to go through what they did and to emerge as well as they did. It is too bad after 9/11 Lost Boys were no longer allowed in the United States. So I was pleased to read on CNN that a Lost Boy was going to lead the US Olympians in to Beijing. I was going to boycott the Olympics for various reasons, but I may tune in tonight to watch the opening ceremonies.

See the story at: http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/08/07/flag.bearer/index.html

No comments: