Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A picture is worth a thousand words

I know I know who cares who we pick to be our wedding photographer. Well I care a lot. I think I have actually paid more attention to my photographer than my dress, flowers, cake, hotel, and honeymoon combined. You see finding a GREAT photographer within the budget that Barry and I have set for it has been a struggle. Many of the great photographers in the LA/OC area have an experience fee. An experience fee? I just want someone to come to my wedding and take amazing photos of us, our family and friends and give me them all to me on a high res DVD so I can print them out to my hearts content. So after contacting 100+ photographers in the LA/OC area I started to get depressed that I would not find one that I loved and was within our budget. But I did find a photographer that I really liked her work and she was kinda within our budget (what is an extra $500 at this point). So I contacted her to set up an appointment to meet with her because that’s what all the planning books tell you to do. So we met with her and as we left I would say I was 99.999% sure we would book her to photograph our wedding. But now I am 100% sure that she will NOT be the photographer at our wedding. So you are probably thinking what the heck has happened since that meeting. Well I will tell you what has happened and that is nothing. She was supposed to email me with some references, a link to a full wedding, and some other things and to this day I have nothing. So a week after our meeting I was still holding out hope so I sent her a follow up email reminding her that I still didn’t have any of the info she was supposed to send and now over a month since our meeting I still have NOTHING. I have taken her off the list because I want a photographer who is easy to get in touch with (no I’m not going to be BRIDEZILLA but when I am paying that much for your services I accept some half way decent customer service.) So I am/was back a square one.

So being back at square one SUCKS but I was gung ho about finding a photographer. Lucky for me I read message boards on tons of wedding sites and look for recommendation from women who have been married and have had good enough results that they would put it on the internet for all to see. That’s how I found Julia. So after looking at her photos and blog I sent an email asking for her package pricing and when I got an email back within 2 hours we were already off on the right foot. I called her and we talked for about an hour about all things wedding related and about ourselves. She not only showed interest in photographing my wedding but also in us as a couple. Julia is not your standard wedding photographer. Julia is a lawyer. Now many of you might know this but 3 people in our bridal party are wannabe lawyers but I found Julia’s blog/website/recommendation on the last day of the bar for 2 out of the 3 people in our bridal party. Is this a sign? I think so. Julia has responded to my emails quickly, let me give my two cents about her blog entries, and has even sent me more ideas that might work for my wedding. So now you are probably asking why we haven’t booked her yet. Well you see I want to book Julia but I am nervous we haven’t met in person and lets face it her photos will hang in our home and the homes of our families (if they so choose) for generations to come. So I’m at a cross road do I take the leap of faith and book the photographer without meeting her or do I wait and try to find sometime to meet with her but there is no guarantee that I or she will have the time when we are home for the holidays?

Oh the joys of planning a wedding from a far.

One of my must take photos. I wanna see the BLING!!


No comments: