Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Finding "the One"

I picked up my bridesmaid dress for Barbie’s wedding yesterday and then I shipped it this morning. I am good at stressing myself out and I have definitely done that with this dress. I can not carry it on the plane when we fly back unless I pack it in a carry-on and I did not want to put it in a checked bag. Thus, I shipped it with super insurance. Barbie gets married the Saturday after the bar, three days after the nasty test. (Barbie is my best childhood friend and I have known her since we were babies; we were also neighbors. I do not know what my life would have been like without her!)

I had my first nightmare of the summer the other night. It was not about the bar, which I am perplexed why I have not had a dream about that disaster yet. My dream was about the bridesmaid dress. I dreamt that the day of Barbie’s wedding the dress was missing – it never arrived. I did not have the heart to tell Barbie until right before we had to walk down the aisle. Oh what a catastrophe!

The bridal shop that did the alterations for the bridesmaid dress, Suzanne’s Bridal in Gilbert, is great. Both Brittany and I like the store and will probably get our wedding dresses there. But they freaked me out. When I took Barbie’s bridesmaid dress in for alterations, I told the lady when my wedding is and she told me I should order my dress soon. Yikes! There is no way I am going to find a wedding dress during bar season. But the pressure is on.

What if I never “find the one?” I have tried on various dresses, which I definitely like some a lot more than others. And there are a couple of dresses I really like. One I think could possibly be the winner. It is a lot of pressure to find a wedding dress. I do not want to buy one just because time is running out. Do you immediately know when it is the one or does it take time to let it sink in? Do all girls find “the one?” Or am I just expecting too much?

I think Brittany’s theory is correct. Some girls, when they try on “the one,” those present with her (mothers) cry. I think this is interesting; after all, it is just a dress. Her theory is that for some mothers, the most important thing in life is for their daughter to get married and have the perfect wedding dress. I know my mother will not cry when I find “the one” and for that, I am thankful to save me from the embarrassment and that she had bigger dreams for me. I know she will be excited and happy for me, but there is more to life than getting a wedding dress, although it is very exciting.

Also, to those spectator women in bridal shops, stop making elaborate comments about a stranger and the dress she is trying on. I do not care about your sundry opinions about the dress I currently have one and which one you like the most, especially if it is a negative opinion! If you make comments, only share friendly opinions.

Do not get me wrong – I am very excited to find a wedding dress, and I think I have already found "the one," the most important one, Matt. That is all that matters in the end, right?

And there may be tears if I pass the Bar.

-Jen

No comments: