Friday, January 16, 2009

My Two Least Favorite Words

Hiring Freeze.

I hate that phrase. I do not like to use the word hate, but I genuinely do not like to hear “hiring freeze.”

There are good days and bad days. Most bad days are when we hear “hiring freeze” from a law firm or county. We should not be surprised anymore, but when we have hope that someone is hiring, and then hear those words, it is frustrating.

We were hoping for something to work out in Pima County, but no dice. Pima County is also in a “hiring freeze.” Thus, we have resorted to applying to places like Yuma, Parker, Globe, etc. These are not places we want to live; we just want a job.

When we do have a job, I can not wait to move on with wedding plans. We have put on hold many things we did not expect: wedding bands, honeymoon, dance lessons, personal trainer, etc. Some are easier to give up on than others, the obvious ones. I have hope though; hope that things will turn around soon.

We are optimistic about our situation. My mom teases me that Matt and I are "practicing" for retired life. If we can make it through studying for the bar together, taking the bar together, waiting for results together, facing unemployment together - and not to mention all the other stuff like 3 years living 200 miles apart, going to two different law schools, so forth - I think we are ready for marriage and have no doubts.

Another thing I despise, the neighbor’s barking dogs. I swear the two houses behind us, their dogs have barking competitions to see who can be the most annoying. I love dogs with the best of them, and I understand their barking is “talking,” but enough already! I can not stand barking, yelping dogs. Three words I do like: barking dog ordinances.

Sorry for the doom and gloom post. I had to vent. I promise the next post will be fun and light-hearted.

Tomorrow I plan to start working on wreath number two so I can have it finished before my dad gets here. I think I have had enough of a break from the first one. :-)

- Jen

P.S. This is post number 99 for us. I feel pressure that we have to make #100 a good one!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

www.quietpimacounty.org