Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Hope over Fear

This is #100 post for us and I could not think of a better way to celebrate #100.

Today is a magnificent day.

Today we have President Obama. He has told us to be hopeful, rather than fearful. This is what we have been craving; we are tired of living life in fear.

President Obama highlighted many important issues in his speech today: it is not about big government vs. small government, it is about what works and then improving what works, to help one's neighbor, to have confidence in the American dream.

President Obama has given us a lot to be proud of - I am incredibly proud that he had a dinner last night honoring Senator John McCain. What a truly magnificent gesture.

President Obama has also given millions of us something else to be proud of, he has shown us what a loving, respectful marriage can look like.

I am excited that we have a first-couple who deeply love and respect each other, they are truly equals.

I admire Laura Bush for her grace and compassion, but she was never a strong force, not that there was anything wrong with that. Hillary Clinton is President's Clinton intellectual equal, but they (obviously) displayed contrasting messages about their love. Barbara Bush was not an intellectual force, perhaps behind the scenes, but not openly. And Nancy Reagan... We have had strong first ladies, but this is the first time we have had an openly strong and successful, as well as loving first lady.

I sincerely admire Abigail Adams and Eleanor Roosevelt; they accomplished great things, but only as much as society would let them. They were not considered their husband's equals, even though they were probably just as intellectual.

First Lady Michelle and President Obama convey their deep love and respect for each other. The way they smile at each other, hold hands, and even talk to each other, we can see their admiration for each other. Whenever I see Michelle grab Barack's hand, I find myself wanting to seek out Matt.
First Lady Michelle is a great role model - she is smart, attended Harvard Law, had a successful career and yet has balanced family life. It is hard for women to balance careers as well as having a family and Mrs. Obama has shown us that it can be accomplished.
Marriage is often disrespected as divorce is easily obtainable. Republican or Democrat, we can all agree, the Obama's have shown us a marriage we can all hope for.

And their daughters are the cutest things. I enjoy how spunky they are.

As my wedding day approaches, I hope that my marriage will resemble theirs after 16 years. "All you need is love," which is perhaps true, but to maintain a strong, successful marriage, I believe you also need more qualities like respect, admiration, humility, and many more.
I look forward to learning from the Obamas as I have with my own parents about marriage.

- Jen

No comments: