Tuesday, November 11, 2008

What to watch at the gym

Election Day ended gloriously after an Election Day party full of friends and good food. I am excited and incredibly optimistic about America’s future – excited to close Guantanamo Bay, excited to end the archaic practice of water boarding, excited to end the arrogant practice extraordinary rendition, excited to see funding for stem cell research….

But the news is driving me crazy. At the gym, it was watching E about Hugh Hefner’s ex-girlfriends (no thanks), TNT’s Charmed, or CNN talk about Michelle Obama.

I would be thrilled if they talked about Michelle’s own accomplishments, but I am tired of hearing what type of First Lady Michelle is going to be. We all know she is going to be great, but I am sick of hearing that she is going to “strike a balance between Hillary Clinton and Laura Bush.”

What was wrong with Hillary Clinton? Hillary was just as accomplished at Bill Clinton. People were offended by their professional partnership, something I am very happy I share with Matt. As Hillary said (paraphrased) about being First Lady – I’m not going to just make cookies. I personally do not want a First Lady who “just makes cookies.” And Hillary is not given credit for how well she raised Chelsea in the White House, only now people praise the Clinton’s ability to raise an intelligent and driven daughter.

Michelle Obama is just as impressive as Barack Obama and she is accomplished in her own right. She should not give up her impressive qualities, as Hillary Clinton chose not to do. Hillary is the Eleanor Roosevelt of this decade and I am extremely proud of her work as First Lady. It is just a shame she could not continue that work as the first female President. Someday…

Not that I am not a fan of Laura Bush. I actually admire the First Lady. (I also think she is a closet Democrat as she was a Democrat before she married Bush.) I think she is a very elegant and intelligent First Lady; I just wished she would have done more. Her favorability rating actually increased when she spoke out against Burma and for putting opposition leader on house arrest. I enjoy this side of Laura Bush.

I am also tired of hearing Michelle Obama being compared to Jackie Kennedy. There is much more to Michelle than her clothes and sense of fashion (although I love her “style” and there is a website dedicated to it - http://www.mrs-o.org/). I believe Michelle does a great job balancing the frivolous stuff with the important stuff.

I read the advice that Jackie Kennedy gave to Hillary Clinton when she became First Lady was to not let stylists create a fashion for Hillary, but rather she develop her own fashion. Was this all that Jackie was concerned with? I know she probably espoused advice on how to raise children in the White House and other miscellaneous things, but I believe the First Lady should be more concerned with other things than what she looks like.

I am excited to have a couple (lawyers) who are intelligent, driven, and compassionate in the White House.

How sweet are they?

- Jen

No comments: